Subject: [Leica] a couple of comments from contest judges
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Tue Dec 4 21:54:23 2007

One judge said this:

In general, I found the quality below that of the last few months. It seems
that most people have tried to interpret the theme in a very literal manner,
in contrast to preceding months when there was
a wider spread in the way people interpreted the theme.

Pudong Ji Mao Tower - nice tones, good composition with the dark building in
the foreground.

Untitled (Third prize) - also good, but could benefit from higher contrast
in the foreground so that the water poodle on the lower left would be more
prominent.?

Old Gang Smelt Mill Swaledale - this image just oozes desolation, and I like
the composition despite the fact that the horizon is more or less in the
middle of the image.?

Fate - this is probably an excellent image, but it is difficult to see
because it is so much smaller than the others. I think it is probably the
best image in this month's contest but it is hurt by
the presentation.

Another judge said this:

A great set of entries. The one of the skyscrapers in Shanghai just
reminded me of how good LUG photography can be!

My own (Brian Reid's) favorite is Harrison McClary's "Times Past" but of
course I formed that opinion before I had any idea who the photographer was.

I have the contest website set up so that nobody, not even the system
administrator, can determine the submitter of an image until judging is
finished, unless of course the person puts their name in
the entry somewhere. The judges don't learn who the photographers are until
I publish the results.

Replies: Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] a couple of comments from contest judges)