Subject: [Leica] Leica Financials - M8 saves the day.
From: charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer)
Date: Sun Dec 2 09:14:16 2007

Oh, joy! Even with my 1935-1955 kit, it took vigilance to keep China
and India out of my bag.  (Don sells N.O.S. Leitz lens cleaning paper
for $1 a packet.) Long gone are the days where Leitz/Leica not only
made most of their own parts..but also the machines that made them;
First World design and craftsmanship is why Leica commands the
princely prices and enjoys the continuing value it has.  In response
to Gandy's cheap Chinese half cases (no Buddah ear option), Luigi
introduced inexpensive half-cases made in Italy.  Not the art work of
his traditional lines, but still well made in Europe. I do hope that
Leica keeps manufacture in the First World. An 'offshored' Third
World build Leica sounds just as bad as a Guangdong Porsche....or the
woman calling the other week from Bangalore telling me her name was
'Jack, J-A-C-K, calling from provider office'.

At least the Europe is beginning to address the perils of
globalization.  Maybe the anti-globalization protesters weren't all
anarchists and slackers after all...they were just smart enough to
get to the barricades first.

Charlie

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Leica Financials - M8 saves the day.)
Reply from nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] Leica Financials - M8 saves the day.)