Subject: [Leica] Leica D lens 4/3rds question
From: telyt at earthlink.net (telyt@earthlink.net)
Date: Mon Nov 26 08:44:42 2007

Steve Barbour <kididdoc@cox.net> wrote:

>> A crop factor is only an advantage if it results in a smaller, more
>> portable camera otherwise there's no advantage to having a chip
>> maker tell
>> you which part of your lens' image circle to throw away.
>
> I don't understand this argument Doug... you crop each time you take
> a photo,

Cropping with the viewfinder for composition, sure.  Cropping the picture
(the slide or digital file) because I wasn't close enough is what I try to
avoid for maximum print quality; getting closer gets me better technical
quality than cropping the file or slide does.

One Ansel Adams quote that sticks with me is his response when he was asked
what the best camera is.  His answer is that the best camera is the biggest
one you're willing to carry.  Of course this is not univerally true, often
the best camera is one you always have with you, but for my wildlife photos
I'm trying to maximize technical quality along with the aesthetics.  I'd
love to use the bigger image area of a 645 camera (film or digital) except
that the size, weight and cost of the hardware is prohibitive.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

http://link.mail2web.com/mail2web