Subject: [Leica] Has anyone here fixed their own cleaning marks on a lens?
From: freakscene at weirdness.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sun Nov 25 19:57:46 2007

Hi Vick,

>Has anyone here fixed their own cleaning marks on a lens?

Before he retired my father was an optical engineer - he showed me how to
reprofile a scratched lens, among other things.  I am not an expert.

>Is polishing out the cleaning marks hard?  I wouldn't think so, with the
>proper setup.

It is relatively difficult.  Optical glass is very hard, good coatings even
more so.  You need low-speed polishing equipment that has extremely high
precision, the right grinding tools and compounds and a fair bit of
experience to not end up with something that produces results that the Great
Wall Plastic Factory (the manufacturer of the Diana) would be proud of.  If
you change the profile of the surface, you will introduce a lot of
aberrations into the system.

>Then, what about putting on an anti-reflective coating?  I can't conceive of
>doing that at home, but, what about a UV-cure spin-coated film?

This win't work.  The coating needs to be 1/4 the thickness of the average
wavelength of light - any variation from this will diminish the performance.
 A UV cure film will not be consistent enough in terms of thickness or hard
enough (Leica's coatings, for instance are not as good as Zeiss T* coatings,
but they are extremely hard).  Even with a plasma coater designed for
coating lens elements coating is demanding work.

You're obviously very handy - take the lens apart, package the elements up
and send it to Arax or send the whole lens to John van Stelten and have it
reprofiled as best as is possible and re-coated.  If the doublets have
de-cemented these can be separated, the old glue removed and the elements
re-cemented.  That will make a greater difference to the performance of the
lens than removing the scratches.  This will get rid of the cleaning marks
if not the gouge.

Having said all this, I'd send it back, tell the vendor they're dreaming and
look for another one.

Marty

Gallery:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/main.php?g2_itemId=7617

Most people can only judge of things by the experiences of ordinary life,
but phenomena outside the scope of this are really quite numerous.
        Shen Kuo - 'Dream Pool Essays'

--
Over 2 Million Holiday Gift Ideas - Take a Look!
mail.com shopping at  http://mail.shopping.com/?linkin_id=8033174