Subject: [Leica] Prius -- THANKS TO ALL
From: nathan at nathanfoto.com (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Fri Nov 16 23:36:13 2007

Dear LUGgers,

Many thanks to the many of you who replied to my Prius query, both on
and off-list. I test-drove the Prius yesterday and also looked up the
Consumer Reports report on it. I liked the drive very much; the motorway
was a bit crowded so I was unable to drive more than 150 km/h, but it
certainly felt good enough at that speed.

What impressed me the most is the interior space. The Prius is like a
Domke bag: small on the outside but big on the inside. I did a very
simple test: after we got back to the dealer, I left the driver's seat
in the position I had used (and I have long legs), and sat in the back
seat behind it. To my amazement, I could sit there comfortably, there
was much more leg room than in my current car, even though the Prius is
about 40 cm shorter. Of course, there is no free lunch and the Prius
trunk is small. But if we want to haul lots of stuff, we still have my
wife's minivan.

Some responses to other comments:

- Ecology: the way I think about it is that the Prius gets a much better
gas mileage than a conventional car thanks to the electricity produced
by its engine (since the electricity is produced by the car itself, the
discussion about electricity from dirty coal plants is irrelevant here).

- Bicycling: it would actually be a good way to get to my office from
where I live, a distance of about 15 km. The only problem is sharing the
road with Spanish drivers along the way--there are no bike paths, not
even the kind just painted on the road, nada. So if I ever get suicidal
tendencies, I might use this mode of transport, but until then I will
stick to motorized vehicles.

- Reliability and battery life: as we all know, Toyota's are famously
reliable (and that has been the case with our Previa minivan as well),
and the warranty on the battery is 6 years (3 years on the car overall).
I will take my chances.

- Behavior: the notion that I would change my driving style just because
I drive a hybrid car is ridiculous to me. I promise that I won't. I will
be the same maniac that I am in my Opel :-) On a serious note, having
learned to drive in Denmark, and having driven in the Netherlands, with
all its cyclists, for several years (and being a motorcycle rider
myself), I am acutely aware of the weaker road users (mainly those on 2
wheels) and always make sure I give them LOTS of space.

- Bottom line: I will probably buy the Prius next week, although there
are a couple of other cars I need to look at.

Once again, thanks for all the extremely helpful replies. I am back in
the Netherlands to spend the weekend with the family--and this time it
really is the family, since my son is coming over from England later
today. There is a turkey thawing in the fridge, we are going to have our
Thanksgiving dinner a few days early.

Nathan

--
Nathan Wajsman