Subject: [Leica] IMG: Friday Flower (ric nov 16)
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Fri Nov 16 15:49:34 2007

>A flower of the swamps.
>
><http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ricc/Bouquet/bell.jpg.html>
><http://tinyurl.com/2sh5u7>
>
>Ric Carter
>http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/ricc/

An interesting specimen, nicely shown.

I always am in two minds about depth of field in macro shots. On the
one hand, like here, the great dof that's possible with small sensor
cameras makes a lot of things easier/possible that aren't with larger
sensors or, heaven help us, large format. But the larger formats do
allow for decent isolation.

My usual preference is to use 35mm or so size sensors/film and long
focal length lenses, but it might be worthwhile to try something like:

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html?focus_overview

This solves the dof in the object problem while still allowing the
background to remain out of focus. The problem is of course the need
for a static subject and a tripod.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design