Subject: [Leica] Thanks Mark, I stand corrected
From: walt at waltjohnson.com (Walt Johnson)
Date: Mon Nov 12 12:42:21 2007

Or maybe just sit corrected or maybe just roll on the floor while I
giggle myself silly. And speaking of silly.....

Mark sez:

/Yes but little work of consequence is being done on non Epson printers and
ESPECAILLY in the black and white area. Results from Non Epson printers
could even be considered "suspect".

/I suspect an ounce of perception is worth a pound of tools. Epson, no
doubt, was an early leader in ink jet technology but not the only game
in town. Their greed might well cause their downfall.

Mark sez:

I/ am printing as we speak (I'll move the microphone over there) here the
crunching sound?
And getting better images than I've ever gotten before with any printing
process I've ever done. Using 3800 with Epson UltraChrome color inks there's
three grays in there. The color inks in there serve you well.
Black and white in the darkroom was never black and white.
It was all about print color. You fine tuned it any number of ways.
The paper and developer and dilution you chose and the time in the soup and
selenium and gold toners.
A "green Print" never stood a chance on a gallery wall.

/Back in the old days, before black and white images became silver
gelatin and ink jets became giclee my prints were, well....black and
white. a bit of gray in between, but certainly no green. Toning was for
the overly creative crowd, except selenium for a bit of longevity.
Additionally, I thought all that crunching was my Chihuahua munching his
balls. Little did I know it was you creating your masterpieces.

Mark sez:/

My set design teacher taught me black pigment was cheap and unreliable.
The best way to get black was to mix the primary colors. Use real paint.
Black in the world of pigment is "all colors".

In the world of light by the way its "no colors".

/I admit to being totally confused, both by your set design teacher and
the rest of the particular paragraph. for me, it's

    Y - Y = (R + G) - (R + G) = No reflected light = Black

If your set design teacher can get good blacks by mixing  Epson color
inks, more power to him. For me, the metamerism Epson spread around the
globe doesn't cut it. I've found black only printing is a good way
around this. That's just for me, since all the experts you know can have
it their own way. :-)

/I've printed with CIS Quadtone MIS inks the UltraChrome Epson pigments I'm
doing now looks about 7 times better.
HP and Canon printers are for people totally out of the loop in the world of
serious quality inkjet printing. People who haven't bother to check things
out in the real world of printing and who apparently don't know anybody.
Its not like there's no internet. This stuff can be easily checked out.

/I'll be sure to let B.D. know how far out of the loop he is. Imagine,
smart enough to win a Pulitzer but too dumb to jump on the Epson
bandwagon.What  does all this mean? Hell, I know nothing. I can say with
all honesty I'm  constantly surprised  by how many seem to know less
than nothing.  I'd guess I might know some folks who  know as much as
you and your confidantes? if so, fine but if not fine as well.  I'm
always ready to stand humbly corrected.