Subject: [Leica] Canon G9 or Leica M8?
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Sun Nov 11 07:37:52 2007

On Nov 11, 2007, at 6:15 AM, Douglas Sharp wrote:

> What I want is a camera that registers just how much tilt in a

> vertical and horizontal plane is present, and provides correction

> parameters for verticals and horizons for later processing.

> Gyroscopes? Artificial horizon?

> Douglas (who considers anything above 21mm to be a telephoto

> lens :-) )

Leonard Taupier responded::
Subject: Re: [Leica] Canon G9 or Leica M8?

>>>Douglas,

I'm with you on this one. I'm forever straightening out photos. You

end up loosing stuff. Even the bubble viewfinder isn't perfect, but

better. I think my brain has a built in tilt. Always in the same

direction.<<<<<<<<<<<

Gentlemen this is a very easy habit to break! I say this from vast
experience of tilted horizons and wilting buildings. :-) Not to forget the
haranguing of associate Sandy Carter whom some of you know. Particularly
when we'd edited a shoot!  Jeeeeesh female editor's can be as vicious as a
triple fanged viper when they make a point about horizon lines. Trust me I
have been crushed to the floor feeling like an absolute visual idiot when
she's finished. :-)

Yep you have to work at it, a hard thing to do in the heat of photo battle.
But as soon as you have your basic scene in viewfinder check the right-left
inner edges of the view finder for vertical lines. window, side of building
whatever is the most obvious. A quick check of opposite side making sure
it's also perfect. You may flick eye back and forth a couple of times, then
"CLICK!" It takes a tiny bit of fiddling at times but it makes a vast
difference.

However you do have to use your brain and remember to do it!!!!!!! :-) This
is extremely important with super wide's all the time.

An option. See if you can find a small clip into hot shoe level in a camera
store or hardware shop. At least a small one to carry in bag forever and
place it on hot shoe particularly when working off a tripod. It just needs
to balance on hot shoe if on tripod.

ted

Replies: Reply from douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp) ([Leica] Breaking the tilting habit?)
Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Canon G9 or Leica M8?)