Subject: [Leica] 16-16-15 lens comparison
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin@afirkin.com)
Date: Sun Nov 4 19:39:46 2007

Yeah, I like the wate on the M8 as well. If it has a downside, its that the
16/19/21 ratios are a bit close: I could have been happy with a bi-elmar,
and perhaps that would have allowed a bi-elmarit 16/21 ;-)

My dealer was convinced by Leica that the DMR was due to be upgraded, making
updates to our R series more efficient and "cheaper". I think he was "sucked
right in" and I always suspected that the DMR was a temporary unit. Still
having to now wait (even with the WATE) over 2 years for a digital body to
use with the R glass is very frustrating and cannot auger well for the
future of the R. Some smart lad might find a CMOS sensor which can replace
the CCD on the DMR, it would draw less battery power and if configured with
M8 DNG format could be 15 or 20 megapixel without increasing the size of the
files. Should be easy: a bit of solder and a steady hand ;-)

I took the DMR to the Arctic with some trepidation: what if it failed. My
back up was the film back, and I suppose I could have taken the R8, BUT I
thought there would be film on the boat (there was 12 months ago), but 12
months is a long time in the new photography/computer world and the company
were selling memory cards and cd's not film, so my back up reverted to
Helens E500. I bought her an E510 now so I can at least have the E500 to act
as back up to the DMR should I travel with it again.

OH back up for the M8: with the price going up perhaps I should rush out and
get one soon: especially as the Dollar here in OZ is strong BUT if I buy a
back up M8, I will find it hard to buy an R10 M9, so I will have to ride
naked sidesaddle and just hope the wonderful electronics only fail at
appropriate times. So far the DMR has had to go home to Germany when I
wanted to travel with the M8 and the M8 has been back twice during the times
I wanted to use the DMR, so they have at least been behaving themselves ;-)

Cheers