Subject: [Leica] Re:photography, gender roles, power structures, my daughter and the beauty standard
From: manolito at videotron.ca (EPL)
Date: Sun Nov 4 15:44:10 2007

Kyle Cassidy wrote:

> In light of recent events -- I feel compelled to speak out.
>
> Photography has been a huge, possibly the largest, part of the definition
> of
> the American beauty standard almost since its creation. The Goudy ladies
> turned from pencil sketches to photographs as rapidly as the technology
> allowed. And the first stop that a young woman makes on her way to
> representing that American beauty standard is with a portfolio. Which means
> she visits a photographer, usually on the photographer's dime if she has
> any
> chance, or on her own if she doesn't. Of the millions of women in this
> country
> we might think of as "beautiful" -- only the smallest handful will ever
> actually be models (I really recommend Jurgen Teller's sad and beautiful
> photo
> book "go sees" in which he documents all the women who show up at his
> studio
> door for a year, hoping to be models). This leaves a trail of extremely
> attractive young women, desperate to BE what they see on magazine pages
> every
> day. As photographers we are lucky -- a little talent, dedication, and a
> lot
> of practice a!
> nd most any photographer, no matter how over weight, out of shape, etc. can
> produce fashion images that grace magazine pages, billboards, and
> newspapers.
> You can study your way to being a skilled photographer, but you can't study
> your way to being beautiful. Here are careers made and hearts broken.
>
> Somewhere beneath that over-layer of fashion and beauty photography there
> exists a sub strata that disturbs me to my core -- a species of
> photographer
> known in the industry as GWAC's (Guys With A Camera) -- they have a camera,
> they have two strobes, a pair of umbrellas, and a white seamless and
> they've
> made a personal hobby out of preying on the aspirations and hopes of young
> women who desperately _want_. On the one hand, you can view this as
> harmless
> hobbyism -- women who want to be models, men who want to be photographers,
> existing in a symbiotic relationship producing photographs -- and that
> actually often happens -- the Internet is filled with talented part-time
> models and skilled part-time photographers who produce mutually benefitial
> product every day and fuel sites like modelmayhem.com -- indeed, this is
> where
> the alt.fashion industry arose. But at the same time, there are
> photographers
> who use the modicum of skill they have to lure women into situations that
> are
> _not!
> _ mutually beneficial, they produce hard drives filled with bikini photos,
> and
> [...]

Kyle, I had been waiting for you to weigh in. In fact, since this thread
began, I have been meaning to shoot you an e-mail for your comments.

On the surface, your work seems to cover subject matter on the fringes of
propriety. However, having worked with you on that day with the Dalai Lama,
I felt instinctively that you were a man not just with a camera but with an
ethical standard.

Thank you for your post here.

Photography is by nature voyeuristic. The person with the camera on the
scene, in the situation, appears to -- or imagines that (s)he --
represent(s) all of the rest of us who are elsewhere and who eventually view
the images. This work is, finally, a kind of sacred trust.

What Shell was doing was pure exploitation. I bet he knew it too. His
pictures were cheesy, his spirit corrupt, his actions -- perhaps temporarily
-- brought our pursuit into disrepute.

Good riddance.

Emanuel