Subject: [Leica] Wooden tripods
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Oct 29 09:10:41 2007

> Yankee Doodle, whoa, just can't account for where people's heads are at.
> As
> for me, chalk it up to "I'm high on the real thing, powerful gasoline, a
> shoeshine and a clean windshield" - "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me the
> Pliers", Firesign Theater, circa 1969.
>
> Seriously, speaking of crutches, what do you all think of monopods (wooden
> ones of course).
>
> Rob

I've never met a monopod I didn't not dislike.
I got a Bogen once for cheap. Like 20 bucks. Steel.
I just never did a form of photography which required them.
Car race photography?
Football games? Stuff with big heavy lens which require a bit of a load off
and free wheeling left and right and whatever. A third leg so to speak.

To me once you put one leg under your camera you may as wall have another
two under there and you can more than shoot a couple shutter speeds slower
maybe. You can shoot minutes or hours and there's no maybe. Walk away from
it. Walk over to the tree and look at the camera from the tree's
perspective.

I've walked around with a tripod with the legs together. Sometimes shooting
like that its as if its a monopod. Then when things slow down I can spread
the legs and really do it right.
Seems to me I recalled hearing others have done it that way as as well.
If not I'd like a nice Pulitzer Noble Photography statue made of carbon
fiber for my mantel place. Which is a cover for a radiator.

To me a tripod is a freeing thing. A monopod is a third  leg which gets in
the way.
Unless this knee really gives out.
Then I get one and a flute.

Mark William Rabiner