Subject: [Leica] Wooden tripods
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Sun Oct 28 06:42:51 2007

I suspect the desire to go either wood or CF is driven by weight.  What I
have found is that you can substantially reduce the weight of your current
tripod by  the correct choice of tripod head, without the big price of the
CF legs....  Heads weigh as much as the legs, in many cases.

Look at the Manfrotto 3275 / Bogen 410 model for an example.... more than
sufficient for 35mm.....  Used a lot by 4x5 guys.  You could move down in
features a step to the ball heads, more than sufficient for a Leica.... etc.

BTW, I went looking for a traveling tripod recently.... something to fit
inside a carry on suitcase, suitable for Hasselblad or Leica.  After a lot
of looking, the Gitzo 1228 won out.  The funny part is that I already owned
a 1228, and thus all my research just reaffirmed my old decision.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

Replies: Reply from alal at duke.poly.edu (A. Lal) ([Leica] Wooden tripods)
Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Wooden tripods)