Subject: [Leica] (no subject)
From: ken at iisaka.org (Ken Iisaka)
Date: Thu Oct 11 13:24:53 2007

On Thursday, October 11, 2007, at 12:43PM, "Steve Barbour"
<kididdoc@cox.net> wrote:

>as I recall Ken the VC competition is every 4 years, so I assume you
>competed in 2005, correct?
>
>Do you plan to compete again in 2009 ?
>
>What repertoire will you prepare?
>
>thanks,
>
>Steve

Actually, there are now two Cliburn competitions: the pro competition and
the amateur competition.  The former has a maximum age limit of 30, while
the latter has the MINIMUM age limit of 35.  The competition in 2009 is the
pro competition, and the next amateur competition will be in 2011.

The role of music competitions has changed quite dramatically in the past
decades, and frankly, there is probably an over supply of talented
musicians, and competitions are becoming less effective in launching
careers.  I think the Cliburn foundation is right in focusing more on the
audience therefore the consumers of classical music by raising the profile
of amateurs.  After all, we amateurs are the one who spend gobs of money on
concert tickets, pianos and such.

I am contemplating returning to Fort Worth in 2011.  The "criticism" I
received from the particular jury member inspires me to explore deeper into
this under-recognised composer.  I am planning on working on other Etudes in
Minor Keys such as the hilarious Le Festin d'Esope, Op.39 No.12.
Oh, by the way, the president of the Cliburn Foundation, Richard Rodzinski
is an avid Leicaphile, and he said he has an M3, and was very tempted by my
M8 which I had with me all the time.

Replies: Reply from leowesson at gmail.com (leo wesson) ([Leica] (no subject))