Subject: [Leica] Report of M8 Base Failure
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu May 24 15:17:48 2007

Have you ever heard of an M1-7 failing ( in my engineering parlance,: coming
apart) because a tripod screw was used?  No, because
the tripod threads are in the body casting and the casting just will not
give.  All cameras I have work the same way....  The tripod
threads are used to secure the camera and some contraption, which may be a
lens or something else, onto a stable base.  It is not a
flimsy design, because flimsy would break.  Tripod sockets must be strong.

The problem is a design issue, not a metallurgical issue.   It was designed
wrong.   The tripod socket should be part of the body
casting to give the assembly strength.

Yes, some metal failed.  Something caused the metal to fail. But the failure
of the part itself is an issue of blame and financial
responsibility.  It has nothing to do with doing the job right, so the
consumer gets a proper product.

The "fix" would entail a complete body up redesign.... unlikely at best case.

Frank Filippone
red735i@earthlink.net

As a trial lawyer I have worked with various metallurgical and other
engineering experts for almost 40 years.  I try to let them do a
complete analysis and come to (hopefully) solid, fact based conclusions
before I start leaping to my own.

Replies: Reply from dlr at dlridings.se (Daniel Ridings) ([Leica] Report of M8 Base Failure)
Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] Report of M8 Base Failure)
Reply from lug at steveunsworth.co.uk (Steve Unsworth) ([Leica] Report of M8 Base Failure)