Subject: [Leica] Meanderings with M8
From: pklein at 2alpha.net (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun May 13 16:14:37 2007

Here's a few posts from wandering about this past week and weekend.  See
all of Page 1 of the following link, photos L1000233 - L1000218.  All, I
believe, taken with the 35mm 4th version Summicron, B+W 486 IR/UV cut
filter.  L1000044, 62 and 67 are in-camera JPGs, the rest done with Capture
One 3.7.7 (the new one), with the "M8 with generic UV/IR" profile, which
seems better than the "M8 IR486 filter" profile

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170>

I'm amazed at the M8's ability to capture detail, especially at ISO
160.   See the pairs of full-frame shots and 1:1 crops with the word
"Detail" in their file names, such as:

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1000233RockGarden-w.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1000233RockGardenDetail.jpg.html>

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1000219MarkDShoots-w.jpg.html>
<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/album170/L1000219MarkDetail-w.jpg.html>

With all its quirks, the M8 gives you both a camera that 's somewhere
between medium format and 35mm slide film, and a bit-better equivalent of
Tri-X or Fuji Press 800. I know that C*non DSLRs have better image quality
at ISO 1600 and up, but the M8 has a decided size and weight advantage, and
I've already got lenses.

So far, so happy.  :-)

--Peter

Replies: Reply from hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson) ([Leica] Meanderings with M8)