Subject: [Leica] Re: Active kids and M8
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat May 12 15:21:17 2007

On May 11, 2007, at 11:39 PM, Tina wrote:

> Last night I took photos for a Habitat for Humanities program.  I
> took my M8 and my Canon 5D.  There were several small children who
> were the recipients of the Habitat house that I was trying to
> photograph.  As long as they were sitting still and occupied with
> something, I prefer the shots I got with the M8.  When they were up
> and moving around, there was no way I could keep up them with the
> M8.

Tina,

I used to take pictures of kid's soccer from the sidelines with an M3
mounting a Canon 135 mm lens. There is just no way you can follow
focus active children with an M camera, especially if you are close
to the action. I achieved a modicum of success by pre-focusing on a
spot where the action was likely to occur, using a fast film and a
small f stop, and praying a lot. About one is five shots was a
keeper. I never showed the parents the rest. Thank God bulk film was
cheap and I rolled my own. With the M8 it should be easier since film
costs drop to zero. Of course the entry fee is still high.

Larry Z