Subject: [Leica] Summitar Filters
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Fri May 11 22:42:48 2007

At 08:41 PM 5/11/2007, Jeffery Smith wrote:
 >But are there any conical mount filters around?
 >
 >Jeffery Smith
 >New Orleans, LA
 >http://www.400tx.com
 >http://400tx.blogspot.com/

Jeffery

As Don noted, yes, they're around, but take some looking.

The actual mount is 36.4mm at its narrow base and
36.6mm at the widest part of the thread.  Though
the Summitar was introduced in 1940, the filters
were not catalogued until after the War ended,
though I suspect that they were probably
available by special order.  Laney states that
they were introduced in 1939, but they do not
appear in the 1940 photographic catalogue either in Germany or the US.

I probably should set aside my book on Kilfitt
and Zoomar and knock out a monograph on
non-digital Leitz and Leica filters, including
mind-numbing charts running to page after page of
fine print!  I have never made a special effort
to acquire Leitz filters but I have ended up with
a bunch, though my holdings are just a drop in
the bucket given the huge range of such filters produced by Wetzlar and ELNY.

In any event, here is the best listing I can
produce for the Summitar filters.  These were
known at Wetzlar as L filters  (by comparison,
the E39 range were O filters).  I suspect there
are more out there which haven't yet come to
light as they probably were never catalogued.

Very Light Yellow       GBOOM   13080
Light Yellow            GBWOO   13085
Medium Yellow   GCOOL
Green #1                GEYOO
Green #2                GCYOO   13095
Graduated Yellow        GHOOF   13105
Graduated Green GILOO
Orange          GDOOK   13100
Light Red/IR            GECOO   13115
Medium Red/IR   GFEOO   13120
Dark Red/IR             GFOOH   13125
Blue                    RQPOO   13097
UVa                     GHIOO   13130
Blank Filter Holder     FOOXC
Haze                    FIHAZ
Skylight                GCSKY   13150
Type F          FKDSUM  13137
Type FP         FPKSUM  13147
Type A          FIDAY           13135
Photoflood              FIFLO           13140
Flash Conversion        GCHEO   13145
Swing-Out Polarizer     FISUM           13395
Rotating Polarizer      POORE   13355

Filters which only have a catalogue code-word and
not a catalogue number did not survive into
production to 1954, the first year for the
universal use of the numbers.  Many of the
Summitar filters had dropped out of the
catalogues by 1960 and all were gone from the Leitz catalogue by 1962.

Both Tiffen and Ednalite supplied Series VI
adapters in the L mount;  I got an early Tiffen
one with my IIIc and have used it extensively,
often just as a lens hood and without a
filter.  I forget the Tiffen part number but the
Ednalite adapter was their number 601 and these
are relatively common.  I have one such
new-in-box for sale which I could not find but we
are throwing a neighborhood yard sale tomorrow
and I shall have most of my camera surplus out
there and I shall see if I can find it.

I have a UVa and Very Light Yellow filter in
early boxes (pre-1954 and could be wartime) and
#2 Yellow,  #2 Green, and Dark Red unboxed.  I
got these from a variety of sources but I don't
believe that any cost me more than $0.50, and the
two boxed ones were a gift from a member of the
LUG eight or ten years ago.  Ask folks.  Look on
eBay -- search by the Codeword to see if some
idiot lists a GBOOM as "unknown Yellow filter" or
the like.  But, again, I use my Tiffen Series VI
adapter on my own Summitar as a lens shade and
when I do use filters, I use H&H Series VI filters.

Folks, the next lecture willl be at 8 O'Clock
tomorrow evening in the Berek Auditorium at
Kellner Hall.  The topic will be, "Bayonet
Filters for the Leitz Xenon and Summitar
Lenses".  Take notes, as there will be a test at
the end of the lecture.  AND TURN THOSE BLOODY CELL-PHONES OFF!

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from jsmith342 at cox.net (Jeffery Smith) ([Leica] 50/2 Summitar LTM)