Subject: [Leica] M5 questions
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Thu May 10 15:27:31 2007

At 05:13 PM 5/10/2007, Harrison McClary wrote:

 >Anyway I have one question and a few observations.  First the question,
 >the rangefinder patch shows minor signs of separation.  How big of an
 >issue or concern is this?  I know this is fairly common, just wonder how
 >rapidly this progresses, and how much a repair of something like this is
 >should it become necessary.
 >
 >Now to the observations...Why was this camera not well liked?

Yes, the rangefinder can be either replaced or
repaired.  Replacement is economically more
logical, but, then, you are buying into a
35-year-old RF assembly, where a rebuild will
guarantee you another several decades of
use.  Check with the usual repair suspects and do
not accept claims by some that this cannot be
rebuilt:  that merely means that they do not wish
to do this.  Others will.  Leica did a rebuild
switch-out (you DX'ed yours to them, and they
sent you a factory rebuilt unit) for a long time
but I am not certain that they still do so.

The M5 is huge and ungainly to a lot of us and
was a comprehensive flop in the marketplace to
the point where Leitz had to bring the M4 back
into production to assuage their unhappy
public:  a lot of folks were still unhappy over
the increase in size from the IIIf to the M3, and
a further increase seemed absolutely
unwarranted.  That side-hanging strap was the
ultimate insult:  how '70's and how stupid can you get?

The M5 is an interesting camera but it is more of
a museum piece than a Leica user, though there
are many who use it:  the same can be said of the Zeiss Ikon Contarex line.

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Replies: Reply from sonc.hegr at gmail.com (Sonny Carter) ([Leica] M5 questions)