Subject: [Leica] Strange visitors to my neck of the woods
From: abridge at gmail.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Sun Apr 29 13:13:21 2007

To "grok the fulness" of these photos you need to know that Davis is a
city of about 65,000 that sits in a sea of utterly flat farmland. I
live in the core area, not the oldest part of town but not "new"
either. The city limits are a mile to the north and maybe 4 miles in
each direction to the west and east, same to the south where UC Davis
forms a buffer.

Friday I kept hearing these strange cries and our small cat,
Leica-Foo, ran from the front yard about about Mach 2.5 and stayed on
the back deck. But I didn't see anything. After some shopping and
lunch I was riding back home when I saw what was going on. I grabbed
the Canon 1Ds with a 70-200 and a 2X telextender and photographed the
visitors.

I like this shot the best.

<http://www.idea-processing.com/Images/2007-04-27-Turkeys/content/_L3U7955_large.html>

In truth if I had been a little quicker on my feet I could have shot
these with a 50mm on the M8 although the chances of being pecked would
have been much greater and I didn't like the way that tail-end bird
was looking at me.

A few weeks ago I was cycling to Winters when a flock of these were
crossing the road. The male came after me and I had to crank things up
a little bit. He was feisty!

Thanks for looking. Comments welcome of course.

Adam

Replies: Reply from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Strange visitors to my neck of the woods)
Reply from lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary) ([Leica] Strange visitors to my neck of the woods)
Reply from hlritter at bex.net (Howard Ritter) ([Leica] Strange visitors to my neck of the woods)