Subject: [Leica] Re: American small towns
From: lists at mcclary.net (Harrison McClary)
Date: Sun Apr 29 09:03:41 2007

Larry Z did a good job summing this up.  Too often people in large
cities forget how very rural this country is.  When I lived in Atlanta
and was in the city for several months straight I'd sometimes forget
that Georgia is a farming state.  You drive 3o minutes from the cities
edges and you are in farm land.  You drive two hours out and the cities
are gone and all are towns, small towns.

Here in Tennessee you are stretching it to call any of our cities large,
they are all on the small side.  And towns, well most are just wide
spots in the road, without even a traffic light, and no they are not
tourist traps.

If you come here and want to get a real feel for small towns just drive
from one small town to another and avoid the interstates and you will
see many very neat little towns, all with an interesting character.   I
really dislike where I live now, Brentwood TN is all "plastic" the only
good thing here is the schools are excellent.  Once the kids are out of
school we likely will move somewhere more "real"

Oh...go visit Jim in Tullahoma, that is a neat little town...best
burgers in the state used to be made there right next to Couches
Photographic store, old man Couch was a very interesting fellow, made
his way in photography with Graflex and had one of those photo shops
where everything was to be found, plus he was one of the friendliest
people you'd ever want to meet.  Is that burger place still there Jim?
If so I need to come over and join you for a burger. :)  Also did Mr
Couch's daughter keep his store open?

Harrison.

--
Harrison McClary