Subject: [Leica] Was: more M8 Noctilux questions, Now DOF
From: robert.rose at mac.com (Robert Rose)
Date: Mon Apr 16 09:11:14 2007

Eric,

Good for you!  You are now master of your fate, captain of your ship.

BTW, now try your lenses at f/4.  If there is any focus shift, it will
appear around there.  At smaller f/# the increasing DOF takes care of the
problem.  So, I either shoot wide open (f/1, f/2 as the case may be) or at
f/8, where all of my lenses are sharp as a tack.

If you look at the Leica technical papers (or your lens barrel), you will
notice that most of the DOF is behind the focus point.  Here is a table for
the Noctilux focus at 5 meters (other 50mm Leica lenses should be similar
for same f/#).  The distances are in meters.  Notice that at f/8, 3/4 of the
DOF is behind the focus.  At f/16, a whopping 98% is behind the focus.

f/  Near    Far   DOF    Near % Far %
1   4.715   5.322 0.607   47%   53%
1.4 4.618   5.451 0.833   46%   54%
2   4.472   5.671 1.199   44%   56%