Subject: [Leica] Hic transit gloria R
From: dnygr at cshore.com (Douglas Nygren)
Date: Sun Apr 8 10:17:05 2007

I read yesterday that Leica will no longer be selling the digital back
for the R. The Digital-Modul-R will be no more. Apparently, the sensor
and other "key components" will not be "reissued" by suppliers in a
quantity that would make business sense.

This is an interesting development. I read that this does not mean that
the R is dead. That must mean that an R10 might appear one day, might.
In the same publication, I read that some R lenses can be used on the
Digilux 3 with the use of an adapter. If Leica brings back a digital R,
will this mean that the body is made by someone else to their specs?
Leica does the glass; an electronic camera maker does the body and
high-tech chips, etc.?

And if this happens to the R, what will happen to the M8? Will
suppliers move on to better things prompting an M9 and a year or two
later an M10 and on and on?

Doug