Subject: [Leica] Panhandle: A final view of the old home near Wayside
From: jeffmatsler at amaonline.com (Jeff S. Matsler)
Date: Sat Apr 7 09:55:50 2007

Hi Phillipe,

The Texas Plains have never been fully occupied.  In the past, there wasn't
enough water to sustain life or crops in big numbers.  Only with the advance
of new technologies are the "gaps" being filled in - people are moving here
in numbers unsustainable even 50 years ago - and fewer farmers are planting
more sections (square miles) of crops than ever before possible.

Some of the people here are saddened by this, but it is bringing the
countryside into the 21st century - somewhere I can testify they are indeed
NOT at the moment.  The town I live in is culturally 30 years behind the
nearest "cities" and probably further than that behind Houston, Dallas, LA,
NYC, etc.  Interestingly that factor draws a certain type of resident from
the city to the town (sort of like Green Acres).  These people raise their
children in a much more controlled environment, with fewer outside
influences.  The crux is that once too many of these types move into a small
community, it ceases to be a small community and becomes a bedroom community
or a suburb, depending on how close it is to the growth from the nearest
city.  Many of these "desolate" geographies that Bill is showing us are now
suburbs of Amarillo.  Others, like the house at Wayside, fell down years ago
(if it's the house I think it is - that's one of my favorite drives in
search of photos, between Hwy 207 and I-27, only problem is that every year
another old farmhouse falls down or is torn down).

So, Bill's pictures are more than just art, they are works of history.  This
is why I've suggested he contact one of the larger museums in the region to
see if they'll sponsor a showing and perhaps a book.  These are very
important images of a time that is either gone, or going.

Jeff M