Subject: [Leica] DMR firmware?
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Fri Apr 6 11:31:09 2007

I thought Nikon had something going with Capture. Let proprietary
external software do the big number crunching. So what if Capture cost
$100. I never had to pay for an upgrades. And it's decent software. I
still I use it. Especially for raw conversion. Transfer of tiffs to CS
is simple.

I guess the proprietary thing is a little scary. But all camera firmware
is proprietary. I'd rather upgrade a PC application than firmware.
Firmware upgrades are easy, until you run into Murphy's Law.

I can understand why camera companies might be uneasy having a third
party -- even one like Adobe -- maintain partial control over output.
OTOH, most camera companies weren't in the software business.....until
recently.