Subject: [Leica] OT: Lightroom help
From: eduardoalbesi at ciudad.com.ar (Eduardo Albesi)
Date: Fri Apr 6 07:25:04 2007

Daniel,

El 06/04/2007, a las 11:06, Daniel Ridings escribi?:
> I am trying unsuccessfully to understand the whacky logic behind
> Lightroom.

LR is not a cataloging program. For that iView Media Pro is
absolutely better.
Its aim is to manage the whole RAW files workflow from the memory
card/camera up to the print/final archival directory, you name it.

> I have to import pictures. Why? I don't know. I can browse to them,
> so browsing is not a problem, but I can't do anything until I
> import them.
LR supposes the pictures are not in a working directory, but in a
card/download directory

> I can import a directory, do a lot a work, print, remember that I
> forgot a picture, browse to it, import it, and loose everything I
> had imported before. My library is now one picture, the last one I
> imported.
You havent' lost anything, the Library can be viewed in several
manners, one of them is "last import" (left panel under "library").
If your last import is only 1 picture, that is

> When I did have my whole library, I couldn't for the life of me
> figure how to export html-pages of just a few. It wanted to export
> everything.
Just select the ones that you want to export and the HTML library
will be filled with them

> So ... what is the library? Why is it better than my folders?
Because you can sort and filter its content by keywords, date, IPTC
data, EXIF data, etc. It's way more difficult and time consuming
doing so by hand within the Mac's Finder or whatever it is called
under Windoze

Just remember it is not a cataloging software.

Hope this helps

ed

Replies: Reply from dlr at dlridings.se (dlr@dlridings.se) ([Leica] OT: Lightroom help)