Subject: [Leica] pocket digital
From: vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster)
Date: Thu Apr 5 21:40:58 2007

On Apr 5, 2007, at 5:47 PM, Lottermoser George wrote:

> Thanks Will (and Henning).

My Pleasure, George.

> Will, Seeing as you find it functional when shooting RAW - I've
> heard that the RAW write time is unacceptably slow.

This has not yet bothered me when shooting, but my style tends to be
pretty deliberative unless shooting an event, in which case I would
definitely use a faster camera. For shooting lifting clouds over the
Flatiron mountains last week, the camera seemed responsive for the
20-30 shots I took over about 5 minutes. The results are excellent
with a little work in Lightroom.

> I also wonder if it's reasonable for a "non-photographer" (my
> partner) to shoot RAW. Will she be able to take the card with the
> RAW files to the One Hour and have prints made? Not without working
> the files - right?

Right, unfortunately: At anything over ISO 200 the jpgs are not up to
our standards. Having said hat, I believe that most people who shoot
for 4 x 6 enlargements - er, prints - only would be hard pressed to
see much of the artifacting that is very obvious at 100% on a
monitor. And like you, I would be surprised if a Costco or Walgreens
type printer would know what to do with any raw file.

Canon is, in my experience anyway, probably the best overall at
internal jpeg conversion in _consumer_ level cameras. The A620 and
A640, IME,  are quite good in not blowing out highlights while
controlling noise.

My 20D on the other hand, does an absolutely miserable job of in-
camera jpeg conversion, and therefore languished until I tried it in
raw. It became a "whole 'nuther camera" - and a far more useful one -
with raw capture.

Hope this helps,

Will von Dauster

Message from vondauster at earthlink.net (Will von Dauster) ([Leica] pocket digital)