Subject: [Leica] re: while ago...
From: amr3 at alpha1.csd.uwm.edu (Alan Magayne-Roshak)
Date: Thu Apr 5 14:21:14 2007

On Thu, 05 Apr 2007 Tina Manley <images@comporium.net> wrote:

>After many years in the darkroom, I developed allergies to most of
>the chemicals.  I'm truly glad to be out of that dark, smelly
>atmosphere.  I get a headache just thinking about it!
>
>Tina

I forgot about that problem, and didn't mean to be insensitive.  I've been
lucky that B&W chemicals don't bother me.

 When I first got serious in photography, I worked on my college paper.
The darkroom was in the basement next to an alley with NW exposure.  We had
a ventilation fan over the sink covered in black paper, but in the winter a
breeze blew through it enough that sometimes when I came in for a printing
session I had to push the first prints through a thin layer of ice as I
processed them (and no RC then).  As I made more prints, the chemicals
would warm up from my fingers being in the solutions.  The enlarger was
broken too, so we had to use a "C clamp" to hold the negative stage up,
parallel to the easel, for every different picture.  Looking back, I think
this rudimentary darkroom was good training in getting the most from
limited resources.

Love the smell of a fresh 100' roll of Tri-X; sweet compared to the acrid
aroma of Agfa or Ilford films.

Alan

Alan Magayne-Roshak
Senior Photographer