Subject: [Leica] Very very odd behavior of M8 and Adobe Lightroom with DNG and TIF files
From: clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss)
Date: Tue Apr 3 13:14:12 2007

While packing to go away, I broke my usual procedure and connected the
M8 directly into the USB port rather than taking the card out and using
card reader as I usually do. I thought it would save me a little time.

Odd behavior #1: I was shooting DNG - the images arrived in Lightroom as
TIF files, apparently good in all other respects.

Odd behavior #2: On a whim I did the Lightroom "Convert to DNG" thing.
With my Nikon files doing this usually resulted in a large increase in
the file size. With the M8 originated tif, the file sizes halved, from a
constant 10,335 KB to a variable 5,800 to 6,000 KB. Looks like the tif
is compressed, whereas the dng is uncompressed.

Odd behavior #3: I opened the DNG in Photoshop CS3 to see if it was a
good file - it was. saved is a a 16 bit tif with zip compression. 58,217
KB. Saved as 16 bit tif with LZW compression - 76,840 KB.

Not so odd behavior: For my last trick, I renamed a regular dng file as
TIF and opened it in CS3. Worked perfectly. Not surprising - dng is just
a special tif.

I will not be able to work on this (or take it to the Adobe forum where
it belongs) while I am away - but I find it very interesting. May be
able to halve my disk usage with DNG?

Bye for three weeks. I leave tomorrow.
--
Clive