Subject: [Leica] A good while ago
From: drodgers at casefarms.com (David Rodgers)
Date: Tue Apr 3 08:41:37 2007

Don,

Is not being able to focus your Summilux a gnat or an elephant? If
you're trying to focus on an elephant a few inches of back focus is no
big deal. If you're trying to focus on a gnat, it might be.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass. (OK maybe a little). As usual you
provide valuable insight. OTOH, I tend to be a little myopic when it
comes to Leica. So information from both sides of the fence is always
good.

I was all ready to buy an M8. I held up because of focusing concerns
with my Noctilux. I will get one eventually but I may sent it to Leica
with the Noct before even opening the box. Hopefully the workload will
ease and turn around will be quicker from Solms. I'd feel better if I
knew Sherry or DAG could do the work.

As far as ROI, I used that rationale when I purchased a D100. When I
replaced it with a D200 I analyzed how much I'd saved. I would have
saved money shooting film. For one thing, the D100 required more
servicing than a film camera (including hot pixel mapping and on several
occasions dust that I couldn't remove). Still, I'd buy the D100 again if
I had to do it over.

DaveR