Subject: [Leica] Lightroom advice
From: heninger at adobe.com (Wade Heninger)
Date: Wed Mar 28 05:32:41 2007

On 3/28/07 2:16 AM, "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com> wrote:

> I am being a bit more picky than that because I have sub folders for
> different cameras, but in principle this is what I have been doing

No matter, it should work fine.

> I am too scared to do this yet, will it mean that Silkypix and
> Capture One, if I want to use them, will be able to read the camera
> specific data if they are not the camera maker's format? I am not
> prepared to commit myself to only Photoshop and Lightroom and don't
> want any nasty surprises over other software not correctly
> recognising the camera specific profile.
> Perhaps I am too cautious.

Capture One *came* with the M8, so it reads DNG just fine.  Silkypix also
reads them fine.

I'm not boosting it cause its an Adobe thing - I'm boosting it because it
makes life easier - self contained images, preview and metadata is a real
godsend.

Then there is the archive benefits of an open standard being readable in the
future.

I got some quicktake pictures here somewhere that are now unreadable...

 > This did not work for me - Lightroom refused to use the database file
> located on my Photographs disc.

There is no way that this won't work, barring some bizarre corruption of the
database, which you really gotta work at doing (trust me, I've thrown ever
curve ball at it during the development stages).

Have you chosen to open that database from LR?

To set library-use preferences from Preferences:

1. Open Lightroom.
2. Choose Lightroom > Preferences > General (Mac OS) or Edit > Preferences >
General (Windows).
3. Select a library to open when starting Photoshop Lightroom: From the
"When starting up use this library" menu, select a library, or select Load
Most Recent Library, or click Choose to select a library file that's not
listed.

Note: (Optional) Select Prompt Me When Starting Lightroom to have Photoshop
Lightroom always prompt you for the appropriate library at start up.

You cannot store the DB on a networked drive.

http://store1.adobe.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=333736

> I do get fun just shooting - the problem has just appeared trying to
> understand the Lightroom database. I have started the Luminous
> Landscape tutorial. The thing that scares me is that if I lose
> Lightroom database or stop using it for any reason it will be
> spectacularly hard to find the pictures using the method I use now,
> ie browsing my photo files on my photo hard drive :-(

The files are *just* like using a file browser. They are still *exactly*
where you asked them to be put.  You'll be fine.

If the database goes south, you'll still have all your settings, metadata
and previews in the file. At most, you'll loose collections and any metadata
around specific print/web/slideshow settings.  And this ain't a big deal
considering.

I've used literally 25 versions of the app over the past 3 months and
*never* had a database get corrupted - and this was when the database format
was in extreme flux moving from dev to final stage - an extreme

w a d e  h e n i n g e r
u s e r  e x p e r i e n c e
a d o b e  s y s t e m s ,  i n c