Subject: [Leica] micro center
From: jeffmatsler at amaonline.com (Jeff S. Matsler)
Date: Fri Mar 23 07:04:40 2007

Hello Rob,

Are you a student / alumn?  If so, you don't need me to tell you that SMU
itself is a great source for images.   Things have changed alot in 12 years
since I was a student there, but it's still a photogenic campus.  I spent
some time there last month (Alumni Council meeting) and burned a few rolls
with the M5 at the new Meadows Museum, both inside and it's "garden".  The
inside of Bridwell Library is just begging to be shot with some fast b/w
like the Ilford 400 c41 (I'm going to do that next time in Dallas).  Of
course the fountain and the Hilltop (old main) are great opportunities to
take some great - if not artistically challenging - shots.  I shoot Portra
UC in the spring at SMU.  Really a beautiful place.

The new sub station across Central wasn't there when I was a student - it
was the Dr. Pepper plant and some under-age bars back then.  It has
wonderful opportunities for photos (there's a great little pub and a
wonderful seafood place there too) with a blend of modern and stylish early
American architecture between the levels.  I took some night shots there the
first year it was open when at the SMU / Tech game that are some of my best
early DSLR shots (on a Fuji S-2 Pro).  I'll try to dredge those CD's up and
post one or two.

A constitutional walk through HP will rid you of rolls of film.  The
buildings and the parks just beg to be photographed.

Deep Ellum was the place to shoot people when I was a student.  Now, I hear
it's a place to get shot.  :-(
Go in the daytime first and take some Astia and your favorite b/w.  Lots of
great historic buildings and lots of others too, with character.  Don't
wander too far from the retail areas and bars...

Of course there's the grassy knoll and the whole downtown area.  It has a
new aquarium we took the kids too last spring.  Very nice.  Also, the
Meyerson Symphony Center and the Anatole are great to photograph any season
of the year.

The zoo is about a 10 minute ride from SMU and the old part is a classic WPA
era zoo.  I shot a few rolls there with the kids on the February trip.  A
season pass to the zoo will also get you into the Dallas Aquarium for free.

Don't waste your time with a camera at Fair Park unless it's fair season
(which it's not).  The facilities may house great stuff (Science Center,
Dallas Aquarium, Museum), but they're old and a bit run down.  Kind of
disappointing.

The one other place you will want to check out if it's open yet (only in
favorable weather) is the historic "town" called DALLAS HERITAGE VILLAGE,
fairly close to the zoo.  Rather than try and explain it, here's a link:

http://www.oldcitypark.org/

I could type pages on great places in Dallas.  This is probably more than
you wanted if you're just in town for the weekend.

Don't forget to check out Cooter's Village Camera, in HP Shopping Center.
DOn't bother with Garland Camera.  It was once THE PLACE for new and
consignment gear.  Now it's an outlet for their ebay business selling
generic accessories.  Very disappointing when I visited last.

Have a ball.  Wish it was me in the Big D this weekend!

Jeff M