Subject: [Leica] Grab shot M8 with no filters and no time to think
From: reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid)
Date: Tue Mar 13 19:24:38 2007

Over on the "M8 use filters or not" thread I mentioned this picture and said
I'd show it if I liked it.

I like it.

Today I accidentally got onto a road that forced me onto the San Francisco
Bay Bridge, but I knew I could get off at Treasure Island and turn around
without paying the toll. The turn-around point was just in front of the
guard gate for a naval base. As I turned, I saw this container ship and its
tugboat getting ready to meet, so I grabbed the camera, metered, and clicked
the shutter. I thought I wanted a longer lens, but I had a 24 mounted and
didn't think I'd have time to change lenses before
the tug and the container ship met up.

I rather like the image, and after studying it for a while, I think that 24
or 28 was the right lens instead of the 50 that I started to reach for.

http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/bkreid/pwic/grabshot3.tif.html
Leica M8, 24/2.8 Elmarit, f/5.6 @ 1/1000, ISO 160, no filters.

The Gallery software doen't like TIFF files; you can see the cropped but not
scaled TIFF image at http://reid.org/~brian/images/grabshot3.tif.

The copy that I'm keeping in my archives has the horizon straightened, but I
wanted all of you M8 haters to be able to see the pixels pretty much as they
came out of the camera, give or take some color balance and levels
adjustments.

Replies: Reply from bjq1 at mac.com (Bernard Quinn) ([Leica] Grab shot M8 with no filters and no time to think)
Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Grab shot M8 with no filters and no time to think)
Reply from hewthompson at mac.com (Hugh Thompson) ([Leica] Grab shot M8 with no filters and no time to think)