Subject: [Leica] Comparison images from D200 and M8
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon Mar 12 10:20:36 2007

At 10:28 AM -0700 3/12/07, Robert Rose wrote:
>George,
>
>The Leica images appear sharper to my eye.  Do we know whether the in-camera
>sharpening was different?
>
>Regards,
>Bob Rose
>
>-------------------------------

I can't speak to what Mr. Tufte did with the images and I believe
they were raw and not 'in camera processed', but I certainly know
that the images that come out of the Canon 5D are softer than those
that come out of the M8. This is talking about raw files; 'in camera
processing' not having anything to do with it in the usual sense. A
top quality image from the M8 is always sharper than a top quality
image from the 5D. The much more aggressive anti-alias filtering of
the 5D is to blame. Some of the sharpness can be recovered in the 5D
files, but not all.

As far as I know the anti-alias filtering in the Nikon is less
aggressive, but still obviously more than that of the M8.

--
    *            Henning J. Wulff
   /|\      Wulff Photography & Design