Subject: [Leica] Re: LUG Digest, Vol 34, Issue 231: ASPH vs. Aspherical
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Mon Mar 12 08:19:37 2007

On 3/11/07 2:45 PM, "Frank Dernie" <Frank.Dernie@btinternet.com> typed:

> Aha, at the time I read that Leica had gone from ground to hot
> pressing (in a Leica leaflet) the 90mm asph did not yet exist.
> Anyway, as you say, it is the cost which differs. This was the point
> I was trying to make - asph lenses are not necessarily dearer than
> spherical when the aspheres are pressed rather than ground and the
> aspherical surface simplifies the rest of the optics.
> Frank
>

> On 11 Mar, 2007, at 18:16, Sander van Hulsenbeek wrote:

But I'd heard they'd stop doing the hot pressing and gone on to something
else. "laser" beams probably. CGN CNR CRC something like that.
Had to do with the glass; getting it from Hoya. They didn't like that.
They can still do it cheaply relatively speaking of course as the prices on
ASPH's didn't go up but they have another way of doing it. High tech and
cutting edge as I recall but just now hot press.
And if no one else heard this than maybe I dreamt it I'm surprised no one
else is chiming in.

But I seem to recall a discussion at the Leica factory a few months back
about 5 people standing around with Christian Erhardt in a hallway, could
have been a jet lagged hallucination.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY