Subject: [Leica] A Weight Reduction Plan....
From: telyt at telus.net (David Young)
Date: Sun Mar 11 10:01:44 2007

Last August, the Brits foiled a plot to put explosives on some 14
planes.  This resulted in an immediate and total ban on cabin luggage
for a few weeks.

They relaxed the rules, ever so slightly, just 72 hours prior to our
departing for Wetzlar/Solms, via London. The "new" cabin baggage
limits were very small, and it was a real challenge to get the
R8+DMR, a 21/4, 50/2 and 80~200/4 Vario into an 11x14x6" (28x35x15cm)
case. After all, I also needed the DMR's charger, an Image bank with
it's charger and assorted cards,filters and other accessories!  It
was done, but packed for space, certainly not convenience.

I resolved to make what I could, lighter and more compact. The first
target was the DMR's charger, which is oversized for the purpose.

I have successfully put it on a diet... the revised charger employs
the same circuitry as the original, repackaged in a box that is 55%
smaller, 28% lighter and considerably more convenient.

Photos of my newly trimmed down DMR charger are at:
http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/charger.htm

I apologize for the artifacts in some of the shots... they were
downsized using a quick and dirty program which works very will for
small size changes, but not for large ones.

Cheers!
---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA