Subject: Was [Leica] With the Rollei 35S, now Mercury Cells
From: ISILVERMN at aol.com (ISILVERMN@aol.com)
Date: Sat Mar 10 22:02:15 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 19:32:00 EST _Digiratidoc@aol.com_
(mailto:Digiratidoc@aol.com)   wrote
"How do you handle the problem of mercury cells with  the 35S and CL? Do you
use Wein cells or an adapter? Just  curious."

Jim,

Right now, I'm using my last two Mercury Cells, although with the meter out
on the CL, that cell may become a backup for the Rollei.  I have used Wein
cells on both MR-4 meters and in older Minolta cameras, and found them to
work
well, but for the expense and short lifespan.

My long term fix is to use the C.R.I.S. MR9 adapter (_http://criscam.com/_
(http://criscam.com/) ) which adapts a 1.5v 386  silver oxide cell to a
PX13/PX625 envelope and drops the voltage to the  requisite 1.35v.

My understanding is that the voltage difference between the old mercury
cells and new silver oxide cells amounts to about 1/3 of a stop on the MR-4
meter.  Not a big deal, but every bit helps, I guess.

Best Regards,

Ira Silverman
Irvine, CA
http://www.aol.com.