Subject: [Leica] Tri-Elmar Question
From: marcsmall at comcast.net (Marc James Small)
Date: Sat Mar 10 21:43:29 2007

At 08:56 PM 3/10/2007, Brian Reid wrote:

 >> This has not been my experience with them.  The longest it has ever
 >taken was 4 weeks.
 >
 >Feh. Leica NJ has had my 35 Summilux for 7 weeks, and all it needed
 >was to have its filter ring threads made round again so I could screw
 >in the IR filter, except that the IR filter hasn't arrived either.
 >
 >I could probably have had a local camera repair place fix the threads
 >for $25 while I stood there and waited, but because it was under
 >Passport warranty I thought I ought to send it to Leica. Silly me.

Brian

Two comments.

First, I have sent a number of items to Leica US
for repair and they have always done so within a
month and quite reasonably in price.  They do
insist on returning things by UPS or FedEx
however many times you ask them to USE UPS AS I
DO NOT WANT MY ITEMS LOST OR DAMAGED but they
seem oblivious to this request and, thank
heavens, no such occurrences have resulted for my
gear.  The timing and the pricing was reasonable
in all castes other than their insistence on what
I regard as jerkwater shippers.

Second, why not find a full-service camera store
and get one of those gizmos to straighten out
bent filter rings?  This cost around $5 and work
like a charm.  Once the filter ring is
straightened, find a B+W or Heliopan filter which
has been junked (or an older Kodak or pre-1995
Tiffen filter) and work it into the filter ring
with a bit of spit and polish -- sometimes, a
DROP (no more!) of WD-40 helps out a bit.  For
that matter, many full-service camera stores will
fix a bent filter ring on the spot and without
charge.  Why send it away for such a minor repair?

Marc

msmall@aya.yale.edu
Cha robh b?s fir gun ghr?s fir!

Message from reid at mejac.palo-alto.ca.us (Brian Reid) ([Leica] Tri-Elmar Question)