Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica CL and Rollei 35
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Sat Mar 10 15:10:12 2007

I've only bought three new film cameras in the last 40 years. One was
a Leica CL and one an early edition (German) Rollei 35. The other was
an OM 2. I wanted the Leica to have a fairly modern camera to use the
small collection of Leica and Canon LTM glass I accumulated over the
years. I bought the Rollei because it was cute as a button and
justified the purchase by giving it to my wife as a present to take
pictures of our new baby son. I bought the OM2 because I thought it
was a technological masterpiece and I had very good results with the
used OM 1 I had picked up several years earlier. I never regretted
buying any of them.

I still use the CL as my standard travel camera. Leica stressed that
the 40 and 90 mm lenses would satisfy most photographic needs. In
that, they were correct. Except that I substituted a 100 mm f3.5
Canon for the 90 mm Elmar. The Canon lens worked every bit as good
and matched the CL frame line better. Besides, I already owned it.
But you are right about the Rollei being much smaller. With the lens
retracted, the Rollei 35 is 1/3 the size of the CL and 1/2 the
weight. But it is a quirky camera that one must learn to appreciate.
I still have the Rollei 35, or rather my wife still has it, but I
liked it so much that I picked up a Rollei 35SE at a camera store
closeout. In my opinion it has the best lens ever fitted to a pocket
sized camera. But Mark is right, you need a reinforced pocket. Before
the digital era most pros I knew carried a Rollei 35S or SE in the
bottom of their camera bag.

Larry Z