Subject: [Leica] OT: Mountain-Climbing and Ansel Adams and Mark Rabiner
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Thu Mar 8 16:13:17 2007

On 3/8/07 6:43 PM, "Marc James Small" <marcsmall@comcast.net> typed:

> At 05:32 PM 3/8/2007, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>
>> But he did climb mountains before modern mountain climbing techniques were
>> invented.
>>

> Hmm.
>
> Mark,
>
> Most modern mountain-climbing techniques had been
> developed by 1920.  The improvements in climbing
> since then have almost entirely consisted in
> improvements in gear and in improvements in
> understanding high-altitude physiology.  But
> Norton and Irving and Irvine and Norton and
> Shipton knew as much about climbing mountains in
> terms of techniques at surmounting rock and ice as is known today.
>
> Marc

That's good to know.

Maybe I confuse Ansel with Aleister those A guys.
Crowley that is.
British occultist, writer and mystic
And a very very bad bad boy.
But could climb anything. And wrote a book on it.
12 October 1875 ? 1 December 1947;

But now that I have Wikipedia out (its heavy)
I see our Ansel:
(February 20, 1902 ? April 22, 1984)

So he could have done his best climbing before 1920 when he was 18.
" At age 17, Adams joined the Sierra Club," That's a whole year!

" Adams was an avid mountaineer in his youth and participated in the club's
annual "high trips", and was later responsible for several first ascents in
the Sierra Nevada."

I think Ansel did more than talk the talk and walk the walk and count the
zones.
He climbed the climb.
To get the shot.

I think your film comes out better that way.

So if he wants to pull over to the side of the road and grab a Moonrise its
ok with me. He'd put his time in with the Mules and the sleeping bags and
the entrenching tools. The grapplers and diggers.

Mark Rabiner
8A/109s
New York, NY

markrabiner.com