Subject: [Leica] Re: Ansel Adam's camera
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Mar 8 08:34:51 2007

On Mar 8, 2007, at 10:23 AM, Doug wrote:

> Ansel Adams said that the best camera is the biggest one you're
> willing to carry.  I'm not willing to carry a medium-format camera
> and I can carry something bigger than a 4/3-system camera.

Doug,

After Ansel Adams made his statement, several photo-technologists
showed convincing evidence that highly corrected 35 mm camera lenses,
using the best available fine grained film, probably Panatomic X,
would produce prints with greater sharpness than large format
negatives. The thrust of the argument was that the smaller circle of
confusion of the 35 mm camera lens times the degree of enlargement
was smaller than the circle of confusion of Ansel's 8x10 contact
prints. Neglected were such trivia as grain size, dust spotting, and
the inevitable loss of image quality in enlargement.

I'm confused.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from leica at rcmckee.com (R. Clayton McKee) ([Leica] Re: Ansel Adam's camera)