Subject: [Leica] A father's admiration! :-) ringette answer.
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue Mar 6 09:33:59 2007

Dave Mason asked:
Subject: Re: [Leica] A father's admiration! :-)

> This Southern US boy does have a couple questions though...
>>1) why is synchro. swimming a Winter Sport? <<<

Good question. I could give you a some what flippant answer like..... "The
Northern Canadians want to show how they swim with attitude when they fall
through the ice on the lake;-)

It was put in the Games as the athletes come from each of the Provinces with
many junior swimmers who've not competed in a big sport event. So this is a
way to give them experince at a large competion.

>>2) what exactly is the game with the little donut and sticks?<<<<
The game is "Ringette" played similarly to ice hockey only with a ring you
see in the pictures. And straight sticks.

It's played on ice and Gym floor or church hall floor. Both boys and girls
play.
======================================

Some extra information from Ringette Canada.
Ringette is a sport in which primarily girls and women of all ages compete
at all levels of physical activity using their strength, intellect and
spirit to obtain measurable results. The game provides numerous
opportunities for players to develop their skills on and off the ice, to
compete competitively and make new friends.

The sport was invented in 1963 in Ontario by the late Sam Jacks. It was to
be a winter team sport played on ice with skates for girls as an
alternative, somewhere between figure skating and ice hockey. Today it has
been adapted to gym ringette and in-line ringette. This summer there are
clinics happening throughout Alberta where communities are learning the new
variations!

Players use straight sticks to pass, carry and shoot a rubber ring. For the
gym and in-line version, a larger, harder ring is used which slides on any
surface. The objective is to control the ring while moving it down the ice
to score goals in opposing team's net.

There are over 35,000 people playing ringette across Canada. Since it's
inception, registration has increased each year. Ringette is played in all
provinces and the NWT. Over the course of the average season there are more
than 125 sanctioned tournaments from coast to coast. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,

ted

Replies: Reply from rsphotoimages at comcast.net (Bob Shaw) ([Leica] A father's admiration! :-) ringette answer.)
Message from len-1 at comcast.net (Leonard Taupier) ([Leica] Didier's PAW 2007 #09)
Message from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] A father's admiration! :-))