Subject: [Leica] Lightroom questions for Wade (and others, if you know)
From: heninger at adobe.com (Wade Heninger)
Date: Sat Mar 3 07:22:53 2007

On 3/3/07 2:42 AM, "Nathan Wajsman" <nathan@nathanfoto.com> wrote:

> 1) The DNG files I created--do they include the adjustments I made,
> so that when I open in Photoshop later, I will be opening the
> adjusted files? Or are they simply the RAW files in DNG format?

By "I created" do you mean exported as DNG or are you talking about the DNG
files you brought in from your camera (or converted from a raw format to DNG
on import?)

DNG files contain the raw data and the metadata about its settings.

> 2) I assume that the TIFF files I exported include all the
> adjustments. Is that correct?

Yes.

> 3) What is the relationship between the sharpening in Lightroom, with
> its 0-100 scale and the Unsharp Mask in Photoshop with its 0-300 (or
> whatever it is) scale and separate controls for Radius and Threshold?

Not sure.  I'll ask.

> 4) Is there a way to rotate an image in Lightroom by an arbitrary
> amount? From what I can see there isn't, which is why I opened
> Photoshop to edit 3-4 of the Switzerland images that needed to be
> rotated by 1 or 0.5 degree.

Think this has been answered.

> 5) Is it better to use the sidecar files or to have everything
> written inside the DNG files, given that the only non-Lightroom
> application in which I would currently open the DNG files is
> Photoshop? Having everything in the DNG files seems intuitively
> simpler, but surely there much some advantage to using the sidecar
> files?

DNG is better in my book.  Self-contained is better and less prone to loss.

Are there tools you want to open the DNG in besides Ps?

w a d e  h e n i n g e r
u s e r  e x p e r i e n c e
a d o b e  s y s t e m s ,  i n c