Subject: [Leica] Exposure and Development
From: pswango at att.net (Phil Swango)
Date: Thu Mar 1 18:46:49 2007

Jeffery Smith wrote:
I made a rather sobering discovery a few weeks ago. I was using a Nikon RF
which, of course, has no meter. So I used a Gossen digital light meter and
 used ambient readings rather than reflective readings. The exposure in most
of the frames was right on the money, much better than my usual TTL
reflected light frames. This made me want to use a handheld meter and blow
off the in-camera meter.
==================================

That's pretty much how I work too.  I used to use reflected only but after I
got the Gossen Digisix I switched to incident and haven't looked back.  I
admit that I sometimes switch over to reflected when, for example, I can't
get the meter in the subject position.  I've been surprised at how
consistent the exposures are with ambient readings.  But I use mostly C41
film, which is rather forgiving.  I think I am going to try hand
metering next time I shoot with my DSLR to see how that works out.

--
Phil Swango
307 Aliso Dr SE

Replies: Reply from jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj) ([Leica] Exposure and Development)