Subject: [Leica] Exposure and Development
From: robertmeier at usjet.net (Robert Meier)
Date: Thu Mar 1 17:05:33 2007

This is an oddly contrarian view of exposure and development of B&W film.
You use exposure to get the detail you need in the shadows of a B&W negative
and then you vary either negative development (the zone system) or paper
contrast to have the highlights print as you want them.  Getting the
highlights "right on the money" through correct exposure doesn't make any
sense for negative film (it does, of course, for slide film -- and digital).
The highlights in the final print are controlled by the print exposure, not
the negative exposure.

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Exposure and Development)
Reply from tedgrant at shaw.ca (Ted Grant) ([Leica] Exposure and Development)