Subject: [Leica] Neopan-Xtol Xpert-Tease Sought
From: rpalmier at depaul.edu (bob palmieri)
Date: Wed Feb 28 20:50:29 2007

Folks -

I seem to recall that some Luminary Lug-gers have worked out the
details of Neopan 1600 in Xtol 1:3.

I shot 2 rolls at 1600 and sent it to my Usual Guy who did the Xtol
thing at 1:3, although I didn't get his time/temp specs.  They both
looked pretty thin, but otherwise very impressive in terms of grain
structure.  So. I'm wondering:

Should I try 800 ISO next round and have him do whatever he did
(seeing as how the web and the mags are full of folks who claim that
this stuff really ain't anywhere near 1600), or

Should I try 1600 again and specify some percentage of increase in
development time (if so how much, d'ya think, without being able to
see the negs)?

For what it's worth, here's a shot from each of the rolls (after I
beat on them a bit with levels & curves in Photoshop)- the first is
from my new(!!??!) Nikon F (??!!?) with a 50 1.4 cropped close to the
field of an 85:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/image/74860346

And this one, shot with my CL and 35 4th gen 'cron:

http://www.pbase.com/bobsworld/image/74896881

Or I s'ppose I could shoot another coupla rolls and try both...  I
gotta say, under the 30X mag the grain structure looked more
appealing to me than anything I've ever shot above 400.

Bob Palmieri

Replies: Reply from don.dory at gmail.com (Don Dory) ([Leica] Neopan-Xtol Xpert-Tease Sought)
Reply from hoppyman at bigpond.net.au (G Hopkinson) ([Leica] Neopan-Xtol Xpert-Tease Sought)
Reply from henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff) ([Leica] Neopan-Xtol Xpert-Tease Sought)