Subject: [Leica] Working with the M8--- Not Given the Chance
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Tue Feb 20 00:30:13 2007

On 2/19/07 10:51 PM, "Frank Filippone" <red735i@earthlink.net> typed:

> When the M9 comes out, no matter what that camera is in the digital world,
> the
> M8 will tank in price.
>
> FWIW, I have been watching the price of the R8 for some time.  A used R8 in
> top notch condition is $800.  Has been ever since the R9
> came out.  The non-traditional Leica cameras ( R series, M8) just have no
> panache, and as "older" models, they just do not hold up
> the prices.  If you want a real bargain. Look at R lenses..... compared to
> lenses, they are priced at a fraction for the same
> performance.
>
> Really wish I had gotten a R-whatever instead of a Nikon F4 when I last
> purchased an SLR.
>
> Frank Filippone
> red735i@earthlink.net
>

> I think it will be a while for a used M8 to drop to $3K, the DMR is still
> $4.5K+ used.
>
> Gene

it took awhile for the R8 to get rid of its problems it became a camera with
a sorted reputation. I'd not buy a used one. Could get one of those lemons.
But I would buy a used R9 very few lemons I think. Mostly Pears and grapes.
Also I love the idea of the R9. All those high tech metals making for a
"new" camera body. I think the innovative ergonomics of the R8 deserved such
a treatment and for it be be considered a new camera like that.
And love the widow In the back with all the info. Make me  think I was
shooting digital. I'd kill for an R9. I've been shooting lots of film
lately.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY

markrabiner.com