Subject: [Leica] Working with the M8
From: images at InfoAve.Net (Tina Manley)
Date: Sat Feb 17 09:30:06 2007

At 08:14 AM 2/17/2007, you wrote:
>Tina, I would welcome your input as your shooting conditions should severely
>stress the IR issues.  I have been trying to shoot in tungsten rich
>environments but have had very few failures.  But, my usage has been
>primarily modern glass which may limit the issues.
>
>Don

Don, I love my M8 and haven't run into anything that couldn't be
fixed in Photoshop ;-)  I'm still experimenting with how to use the
M8 and am now generally shooting almost everything at 160 ISO one or
two stops underexposed.  Unfortunately, my M8 is now on its way to
Germany to be upgraded and matched to my Noctilux :'(  Leica is
supposed to be sending me a loaner to use until mine gets back.  I
hope the loaner is not on the same slow boat as the IR filters!

The M8 is a totally different digital experience than using a Canon
SLR.  It is more like my beloved M6's and 7's than any other digital
camera.  To me the M8 truly seems to have all of the advantages of
digital combined with all of the advantages of a rangefinder
camera.  True, there are a few nitpicky things that Leica didn't get
right.  I don't think leaving the IR filter out was one of them
because you do get sharper photos without the filter.  It's easy
enough to add if you need it, but you can't remove those built-in
ones in the digital SLR's - you have to add sharpness later in Photoshop.

I was so glad to get back to using my M lenses and using a camera
that is so unnoticeable, that I went through withdrawal trauma as I
taped up the box to send my M8 back to Leica.  I'm hoping to the get
the loaner next week.

Glad you like your M8!

Tina

Tina Manley, ASMP, NPPA