Subject: [Leica] Best camera deal ever
From: charlie at droolassicpark.com (Charlie Meyer)
Date: Fri Feb 16 08:47:06 2007

Frank Filippone DO NOT READ!  I made you ill when I emailed you
privately a month or so ago about this.

OK. As the old spy memoirs go, now all can be told:

One  778xxx DS M3, MR, 2/5.0cm 'cron, leather 'never ready' case
$4.99.  2/35 8-element 'cron with goggles in a minty halfmoon case
$2.99.  Priced in grease pencil on the cases sitting on the shelf.
I knew it was a 'steal' of a price, so from an old biz card in the
halfmoon case, I name searched the owner just to make sure it wasn't
really 'stolen'..  Original owner deceased long enough to have a
square named after him at his alma mater.  Seems to have had a
vacation home at the lake 30 mi away from here.   I was told later
that it was a local area donation (family member probably cleaning
out the last of the deceased old man's deritius from the condo and
neither they nor the store knew what they were worth).  There's
apparently a fixed pricing guide, where film cameras are all priced
in that range.. Grabbed a nice black Canon A-1 1.4/50 in a ratty case
in the same haul for $4.99 too.  That lightning bolt hasn't struck
twice yet.  I did buy an $8 plastic Canon RF there the other
week...for the FD lens and body caps buried in the bag.

There was almost a whole dollar in sales tax tribute for the Gov'nor,
too.  Methinks I still take the cake on this thread.  It'll take
actual skill to do that in any other thread on the list.

Living here in Appalachia on what I once paid in taxes, I was indeed
tempted to unload it all on feeBay for a quick buck, but something in
me said 'bad Karma'.   My volunteer work (actually passion), has me
saving homeless Basset Hounds from shelters all over West Virginia
for a large regional breed rescue. Homeless dogs (particularly the
old ones I provide an OAP home for) don't get adopted without pix.
The volunteer that does the pages on our web site has a  picky
standard for photos, so why not reach back to a more elegant
implement in a day of 'auto' everything digital cameras? "No, that is
not a blurred background, it's bokeh".

I have a reflex neck snap for garage sales and thrift stores to buy
inexpensive dog crates for rescue.  I doubt I will ever have the
Leica find again, but perhaps I might find a Rolleiflex/Rolleicord
for portraiture.  "And pigs might fly, Matey..."

Entree into this mailing list, learning, and seeing examples of nice
photography: Priceless.

Charlie

Replies: Reply from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] Best camera deal ever)
Reply from michiel.fokkema at wanadoo.nl (Michiel Fokkema) ([Leica] Best camera deal ever)