Subject: [Leica] Re: Mac file opening
From: lrzeitlin at optonline.net (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Thu Feb 15 08:14:39 2007

On Feb 15, 2007, at 12:30 AM, lug-request@leica-users.org wrote:

> Dear Luggers,
> I need a little programming help. When I load a photo CD into my
> computer, Graphic Convertor is automatically chosen as the program to
> open the CD and, of course, it can't. How do I turn off the automatic
> choice of Graphic Convertor? I am using a Mac G4 with OS 10.4.8.
> Please answer me off list if you prefer and thanks for your help.
> Cheers
> Howard (in Hong Kong)

Quit GraphicConverter, open the CD by double clicking on it, move the
relevant files to disc, and open the files by clicking on them.

The Mac chooses the correct application to open a file by appending a
four character file Type and a Creator code to the file name. These
codes are usually invisible. Your images on the Photo CD are probably
typed as JPEG and the creator is typed as GKON. The application
GrapicConverter is called when a file with a GKON creator code is
opened. If you want it to automatically open in a different
application, the answer is to change the creator code in the file.
There are a number of small applications which will give you access
to the codes. The one I use is an older one, File Typer 4.0. You can
get a variety of similar applications on www.versiontracker.com. To
make the file open in Preview, change the creator code to ogle. Case
is important.

I'm sure there is a more sophisticated, and probably more correct,
answer to your question - but at the moment, it escapes me. Not to
worry, some of the programming types will offer better advice.

Larry Z