Subject: FW: [Leica] Google
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Wed Feb 14 21:38:16 2007

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY
40?47'59.79"N
73?57'32.37"W

markrabiner.com

------ Forwarded Message
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabinergroup.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 00:37:38 -0500
To: Adam Bridge <abridge@gmail.com>
Conversation: [Leica] Google
Subject: Re: [Leica] Google

On 2/14/07 7:57 PM, "Adam Bridge" <abridge@gmail.com> typed:

> This is true for any e-mail system of any kind unless you use
> hard-core encryption. There's always SOMEONE who can poke through the
> e-mail files on the server if they want to badly enough.
>
> The real question is: Does Google mine your e-mail for personal data
> or allow others to do so?
>
> If you believe the answer to that question is "yes" then you shouldn't
> use it nor should you send any mail TO an account on gmail that might
> in any way be sensitive unless it's thorough encrypted. There are some
> good encryption products out there Pretty Good Privacy would seem a
> fine candidate and it's probably legal where you live.
>
> I, personally, do not believe that Google is going to sell my name /
> identity / e-mail address to someone based on mining my e-mail. They
> DO create ads - on the fly - based on the content of e-mail messages
> that flow to my computer. I do not mind this so I use gmail for my
> mailing list traffic.

I find this mildly unbelievable.

So I email a friend and I'm talking about solar powered sneaker warmers and
then there just happens to be this AD on my email from a solar powered
sneaker warmer company blinking away.
Blink blink blink.
Flash flash flash
That would be eerie.
And irritating.
And make me get irrational.

As broke as I'm ever going to get I'd shell out the cash needed to own my
own emails and website and buy beans and rice later. Work nights. Get a
roommate. So no insidious hissing snake of the corporate world could
insinuate their prerogatives into my existence.

Blink

Guy runs across screen. Moves arms. Big hook comes and drags him off.

Mark Rabiner
New York, NY
40?47'59.79"N
73?57'32.37"W